Self-Support: Where Money and Spirituality Mix
The A.A. groups themselves ought to be fully supported by the voluntary contributions of their own members. We think that each group should soon achieve this ideal; that any public solicitation of funds using the name of Alcoholics Anonymous is highly dangerous, whether by groups, clubs, hospitals, or other outside agencies; that acceptance of large gifts from any source, or of contributions carrying any obligation whatever is unwise. Then too, we view with much concern those A.A. treasuries which continue, beyond prudent reserves, to accumulate funds for no stated A.A. purpose. Experience has often warned us that nothing can so surely destroy our spiritual heritage as futile disputes over property, money, and authority. - TRADITION 7 – Long Form
Groups and districts with excess funds are urged to distribute those funds within A.A. to ensure that the A.A. message is carried to the still-suffering alcoholic, no matter where he or she may be.
Individual members often make their contributions on the spiritual basis of belonging to A.A. worldwide. Some choose, in addition to supporting their home group, to make an annual contribution that is divided between their district, Area 91, and the General Service Office in New York.
Self Support - Where Money and Spirituality Mix
Tradition 7 Fact Sheet
Electronic Contributions to Area 91
Exciting news! Area 91 has set up E-mail transfers of contributions from our Groups/Districts to our Area 91 bank account, effective immediately. In order for this to work effectively key pieces of information is required for our Treasurer to properly process contributions received in this manner.
You can submit your Interac E-Transfer to the following email firstname.lastname@example.org
Mandatory Information Required for E-Transfers
- Name of the group making the contribution,
- District number of the group,
- Where the contribution is to be directed, i.e. Area 91 Assembly or Pink Can Fund,
- For Personal contributions identify it as Personal and include the District number of your home group and whether it is for Area 91 Assembly or Pink Can Fund.
Our Area 91 Treasurer will email a receipt to the email address identified in the contribution and will provide a receipt within 1-3 days.
Regular Mail Contributions to Area 91
Contributions can also be made by cheque and mailed to the following address:
Area 91 Assembly
532 Oster Street
- If your group has a cheque book, please give the treasurer a cheque instead of cash.
- Please make all cheques payable to “Area 91 Assembly”.
- Unless otherwise stated in the memo portion of the cheque, the Treasurer will apply the contribution to Area 91.
- You may include contributions to the Pink Can and Area 91 on the same cheque. Please include a note with the cheque describing the breakdown. One receipt will be mailed separating the contributions on the same receipt.
- Please attach a note indicating your 1) group name 2) the district number your group belongs to 3) the name and address of where the receipt should be mailed to.
Contributions to G.S.O. may be mailed to:
General Service Office
P.O. Box 459
Grand Central Station
New York, N Y 10163
- Please make your cheques payable to “General Fund”.
- Include your Group Service Number, District Number, and Area 91 on your cheque or on an attached note with your cheque.
CONTRIBUTIONS TO DISTRICT and LOCAL A.A. SERVICE ENTITIES
- Please contact your DCM &/or local Intergroup/Central Office.
*** Thank you for your willingness to participate in the Seventh Tradition
and for the contributions you have made in the Spirit of Love and Service! ***